To create complete redundant hardware and database solution for your application to achieve maximum uptime you need to plain it from the start and do the basics right. Fist you have to be sure about the requirement that using this redundant hardware and database solution what type of applications you are going to use should this system for single application or you are going to use multiple application on this system. Because planning and designing of system solution depends on what you want from this solution or the load you are going to put on the system solution the solution must be capable of it or not. To design and plan system solution with particular requirement with minimum down time your requirements are as follows.
- Three servers of good specification on primary site and two for secondary site.
- Four switches two for primary site redundant network and two for secondary site.
- Storage node like SAN, or any other type of shared storage on both sites.
- Redundant links to manage network between primary and secondary site.
- Windows server Data center 2012 or above.
- SQL Server 2012 Enterprise or above/MySQL Server 5.7 or above.
If you are not planning secondary site your company is not of large volume the hardware that we required for secondary or disaster recovery site should be omitted. If you are planning secondary site according the standard rule secondary site hardware is always half then primary site hardware. Although you want to use secondary site also with same way you are using primary with minimum down time you can use the same IT hardware infrastructure to plan your system solution.
System Design Notes
- Prepare your redundant network on primary site according to the system solution requirement.
- Configure Active directory domain service controller rule on one computing node in the primary site and join domain to all other computing nodes in the primary site.
- Keep two computing nodes and one storage node on primary site data center and connect these nodes with your initially configured redundant network.
- Configure WSFC (Windows Server Failover Cluster) on node1 and node2 including shared storage on primary site.
- Install FCI (Failover Cluster Instance) of the SQL server 2012 and shared storage on primary site.
- In case of MySQL server failover cluster of the MySQL server is added as a generic service in the Windows Server Failover Cluster.
- Configure the cluster IP and named instance for routing the communication of the application going to install on designed system solution.
- If you think your application put load on the system solution you can add more nodes in the solution and use them for application load balancing using the NLB (Network Load Balancer) feature of Windows Server 2012.
- Prepare your redundant network on secondary site according to the system solution requirement.
- Connect secondary site computing node to the configured redundant network.
- Configure Additional Active directory domain service controller on one node at the secondary site and join domain to another node.
- Only one node in secondary site so no need WSFC after installation of the windows server.
- Install stand alone instance of the SQL server 2012 or if you are going to use MySQL server 5.7 install its instance on the computing node of secondary site.
- Configure the named instance of the SQL server 2012 for the application installation and communication on secondary site.
Features of the System Solution
Node1 and node2 providing HA (High Availability) solution also these nodes are acting as active passive nodes to each other for hardware high availability. FCI (Failover Cluster Instance) of the SQL Server 2012 is providing database high availability. FCI on primary site and stand-alone instance of the SQL server on secondary site providing the primary and disaster recovery solution for the system. Primary site hardware and database solution have automatic failover in the failure of one node second node activate to perform failed node operations in no time. Real time database mirroring is configured between primary site FCI and secondary site stan alone SQL server instance. Failover of the application to secondary site is always manual in this solution.
I will explain each step of the design notes of primary and secondary site in this article separately in details with pictures and video of preparing these design notes as well.
You might be interested in more useful information.